Young Women’s Christian Association Building Preservation Plan
Located within the Historic Michigan Boulevard District, this late 1880’s refuge for single working women was abandoned and considered endangered by Landmarks Illinois. In 2009, the national register eligible building was condemned by the City of Chicago. The owner agreed to assemble historic information as part of the settlement to allow its demolition. AltusWorks prepared a Preservation Plan following Historic American Building Survey requirements, including a written history, photographic documentation, record of the structural system, and identification of the original exterior color scheme. Submitted to the Library of Congress, the building is recorded for future generations.