Louis Sullivan Storefront Renovation at the Gage Building Block
AltusWorks won the contract to renovate the Louis Sullivan storefront at the Gage Building, located in Chicago’s Historic Michigan Boulevard District. The 1899 structure was designed by Holabird & Roche, but the façade was designed by Louis H. Sullivan. Sullivan’s highly detailed cast iron ornamental façade and storefront surround was removed in the 1950’s and replaced with granite. AltusWorks developed a feasibility study for the storefront renovation, emphasizing alternative materials and developing abstracted designs based on historic remnants, photos and Sullivan’s system of ornament. The firm sought and received approval from Chicago’s Landmarks Division and Landmarks Preservation Council of Illinois and provided construction documents and administration services for the $1.2M project.